Jillian & Jenna

Jillian & Jenna

About Me

My photo
I am the mom of Jillian Grace and Jenna Faith. This is my way of sharing stories and photos with our family and friends.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Identical or Fraternal? That is the Question.

Okay, so when I first found out we were having twins I asked how they determine the zygosity (which is a word I know now that I have twins to mean whether they are identical or fraternal). During my pregnancy there was not a definite factor where the doctor could say for sure absolutely one way or the other. Jillian and Jenna were not in the same sac (which could go for either zygosity) and throughout the pregnancy and after the birth no one could determine if each baby had their own placenta ...meaning I either had one very large placenta or two that joined together. Now that they are born we know that Jilly and Jenna are both girls and they also have the same blood type.



Let's take for example if I had a girl and a boy...that would tell us definitively they were fraternal. Or if they had different blood types...automatically they would be fraternal. However, having the same blood type doesn't necessarily make them identical since lots of siblings have the same blood type.



So, I talked to my OBGYN about it again on Monday (he has the results of the placenta dissection) and we talked it over. It made me feel better to know that dissecting the placenta doesn't always tell you for sure the zygosity of your multiples, most doctors use the results as well as the other circumstances I just talked about (one sac, two, one placenta, two, blood type, sex type, etc). So my doctor doesn't know for sure, and only a DNA test would confirm (which is not routine) but he is leaning more towards the girls being identical now. The reasons being:


1. They are both girls

2. They have the same blood type (which is the reason he is leaning this way more now)

3. Both girls were almost identical in weight and height from conception to birth. Lots of times in fraternal babies one baby is lots bigger than the other. The same thing can happen with identical but it is usually because of Twin to Twin Transfusion.



My deciding factor is that they look so VERY MUCH alike. Yes, I know they are siblings...but come on! They have the same hair, parted the same way. Jilly has a tiny bit more on top but it is the same texture, color, thickness, etc. They have the same face, same eyes, same ears, same nose, same mouth, same chin. They have the same stork bite (birthmark) on the back of their head. They each have an identical raised birthmark except Jillian's is on her thigh and Jenna's is on her neck...thanks goodness! I have gotten them confused a number of times now, especially since Jenna is catching up in the weight department. Jillian's checks are still a little more puffy but really that is it...



So, you be the judge. Take the poll and give your opinion on if you think they are identical or fraternal. Here are some pictures to determine...and for fun I am not going to tell you who is who. :)



More to Come....

Jessica










2 comments:

  1. I think they are identical.
    Here's my vote as to who is who, starting from the top.

    #1 Jillian
    #2 Jenna

    #3 Middle - Jenna is left, Jillian right

    #4 - Jillian
    #5 - Jenna

    Do - how'd I do? Do I win?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrong, wrong, right :) Pretty good considering you haven't seen them for real yet! Pretty soon though you will be flying in on a jet plane! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete