Jillian & Jenna

Jillian & Jenna

About Me

My photo
I am the mom of Jillian Grace and Jenna Faith. This is my way of sharing stories and photos with our family and friends.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Once Upon A Time...There Lived Two Babies Who Hated to Eat

Howdy All!
I know it has been a while since I posted last and I am so sorry! It has been crazy busy with my Dad and his wife, MyeongHee, visiting. It has been really fun though. The babies are going to hate when they leave...for the last 8 days there have been 4 adults to hold them. :) The girls aren't really held a whole lot usually just because of the mechanics. Evenings are pretty much the only time Jared and I are at home together so that means during the day there are more babies than parents...it is impossible to hold them constantly. They are enjoying all of the individual attention though.

Well, Jillian and Jenna are five months old now. Can you believe it? They are getting big! I think they are at that in between stage, too. They seem to be getting tired of only bottles but they aren't crazy about cereal yet either. On Wednesday, I gave both girls (we were mostly concentrating on Jillian and giving Jenna a try after she had finished her bottle) their first try of Rice Cereal and it was pretty funny. My Dad swears Jillian would eat about half of what was put in her mouth but I am not so sure. It looked like most of it was coming right back out. See...
Jillian isn't sure what to think about her cereal experience



Jenna definitely doesn't want her bottle

Is it possible for a baby to get tired of bottles though? Jillian especially just seems to be uninterested most of the time, unless she is just starving. There is usually at least one bottle a day where she screams and cries until we quit trying to feed her.
Theoretically they should be eating better. According to their age (adjusted, not real) they should be eating between 5 and 6 ounces. According to their weight they should be eating about 22 ounces a day. We are lucky if they eat 4 ounces at their 5 sittings a day (which is 20 ounces total) and they almost never eat all 4 bottles completely. The doctor says as long as they are growing and gaining weight I shouldn't worry, but there is just something about a baby not eating that seems wrong somehow. It is like a dog who doesn't like to eat....WAIT A MINUTE...I have one of those too. :)
So I have to share something with you that I have told almost everyone I've talked with in the last few days. Last Saturday I went to the Just Between Friends Consignment Sale (http://www.jbfsale.com/home/) @ The Denton Senior Center (Civic Center). It is a hugeiferous sale with tons of baby clothes, toys, gear, furniture...you name it, they have it. Most of it is pretty nice and only gently used. Well, on Saturdays the majority of the items are half off of the asking price. Listen to this, for $77 I got:
One Play Gym/Mat with Toys
One Bouncy Seat that vibrates, lights up and plays music
An Infant-Toddler Feeding Chair
A Tummy Time Play Mat
Two Shopping Cart/High Chair Covers
Two Crib Toys
One plush toy and
Eight Outfits
Can you believe it? Isn't that great!?!
The funny thing is that when I first got pregnant (before we knew it was twins) I wasn't really into "used things." I wanted brand new everything (toys, clothes, etc). I was also going to use the most expensive diapers as well.
I am not saying that my twins don't deserve new or nice things but like most people we are on a (tight) budget. We got our first round of used clothes from Jared's boss at the County and it was then that I figured out how nice used items were. First of all they are free, second they are new to me, and third they are almost always just as nice as if they were new. I guess I am just so excited at how thrifty I have become. It is my contribution to the household since I no longer work full time. :) Speaking of which...Off Brand Diapers (I am not talking about Luvs...diapers like White Cloud and store brand like Comforts from Kroger) are terrific. They are usually pretty soft and don't leak (like Huggies!). Off Brand Wipes are just as great. Diapers were the one thing I was adamant about with buying the best brand, too. :)
Anyhoo, not that any of that was funny or interesting but I am so pumped at what a great deal I got at the consignment sale that I just had to share. :)
More to Come,
Jessie
PS: Is it true that TV is bad for babies? Jillian and Jenna are addicted. We try and turn them away from the TV so that they can't see it but they will just sit and cry until we turn them back to face it. It gets so bad that we have to turn the TV off completely!



Jenna gets cozy in the Big Brown Chair and settles in for some American Idol...she was totally crushed that Adam didn't win!!


3 comments:

  1. I remember when my youngest began to 'turn away' from his bottle I finally tried enlarging the hole in the nipple. worked immediately. He was getting bigger & I guess he didn't want to waste his time sucking on a 'dinky' little hole for a trickle of formula. Just an idea....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Idea...I might try that. When they started this a couple months ago we moved from Slow Flow to Medium Flow nipples and it seemed to help. I need to find something that will make the ones I have a little bigger. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. It is always fun to find a bargain. I bought 4 tops and a pair of shoes the other day for $59. :) Peggy.

    ReplyDelete