Jillian(Left in both pictures) and Jenna pose for pictures

Jenna loves her puppy dog
You know the expression "If you blink you will miss it?" Sometimes that's how our lives are. All of a sudden, before you know it Jillian and Jenna are reaching another milestone. This last week we have reached several!
The other evening Jared and I were trying to make our own dinner, after the girls had eaten, and we hear Jillian cracking up. She is laughing and laughing....having the best time. I figured Shelby was licking her toes or ears so I go check it out and Jillian is on her back staring up at Jenna who is on her tummy. I guess seeing Jenna above her like that just tickled her. 
Jillian thinks her sister is funny
Before now the girls hadn't really interacted with each other beyond an occasional smile or glance at the other. I have been waiting for them to figure out that there is another baby, someone who can provide additional entertainment besides Mommy. :) One of my favorite You Tube videos is of twin baby boys cracking up at each other. The boys were 4 months old at the time and they aren't doing anything but laughing...Jilly and Jenna's laughs weren't quite the same caliber as the boys but it gives me hope for the future.
Another milestone we reached is that the girls are now able to sit up by themselves. They have to use their arms to keep themselves upright and they fall over quite easily still; but hey, it is something! We started Phase 2 in our Baby Builders Exercise Book late last week and by Saturday Jillian was sitting up. We got the book from the Occupational Therapist at Cooks. The exercises are supposed to help babies reach their milestones faster than they would if the parents didn't do they exercises. That doesn't mean they reach the milestones on time, it just means they reach them sooner than they would. For example, according to the baby books most babies can sit up unassisted around five months. The girls will be 7 months in 5 days and are just beginning to sit up on their own with their own assistance.

Jillian practices sitting up
Jillian practices sitting up
We still use the Bumbo seats given to us quite a lot. The girls don't like to sit in them for longer than about 10 minutes but they tolerate the seats enough to get those important muscles built up. Here is a video I took of the girls in their Bumbos. I think the way the girls are positioned in the seat allows gas out of their tummies. Almost every time they sit in the seat they burp or spit up. I was going to capture a little more of the girls staring at Shelby but had to go as you will see:
The video does highlight another milestone in that both girls know their names now. They turn their heads almost every time when I call their names. :)
Okay, so off of the subject of milestones. Is it weird that my kids don't like the baby fruits? We've been through all of the veggies with no allergy incidents and so we were finally able to start fruits. I was excited because I figured if we could get them to eat fruits then maybe I could put the fruits in the Rice Cereal and have another go at it....thinking they might like it sweetened up. Uh uh, nope, not a chance.
So far bananas and peaches aren't making the cut. Next week is pears and then apples followed by plums the following weeks. Maybe we will have better luck with those fruits. I know Jared was quite disappointed with the banana outcome. He loves, loves, loves bananas and was hoping at least a little of himself had rubbed off on the girls (everyone we meet says they look just like me). I guess not, or at least those traits aren't visible yet.
Curious as to what our favorite foods are so far? Sweet potatoes and green peas. Whodda thunk?
More to Come,
Jessica

I love the new pictures. The one with the girls in their headbands is adorable. Jillian looks not too sure about posing with the headband on and Jenna, the camera bug is like take more...take more.
ReplyDeleteToo Cute...Love Mom
Samantha was the same with baby food fruits. We could barely get her to eat any of them, but she absolutely LOVED green beans. Now that she eats regular food, she loves all fruit, but we can hardly get her to eat any veggies. Maybe it's just normal that way.
ReplyDeleteYou know, everywhere I go with Kyle I get, "Oh, he looks JUST like you!!" I just laugh and say, "You obviously don't know the father!" Once they see Ben with Kyle they realize the child looks nothing like me. Tell Jared that once the girls get a little older and start eating solid food, they may develop a love for bananas. Kyle loved the fruits and veggies of baby food but not the other things. Even now that he is 100% eating everything we are, he will choose fruit over anything else.
ReplyDelete