Jillian, Jessica, Jared and Jenna playing at the park with friends
The time has come for the blog and I to part ways. I knew when I started the blog that it would be temporary, but I wasn't expecting the sort of sadness I am feeling once it was time to say goodbye. This has been without question the best way to keep family and friends updated on the adventure Jared, the girls and I have been on the last year and a half (well...almost a year and a half). We are so grateful for the prayers, love, support, and advice we have received. I keep reminding myself that there are other ways of communication and sharing information but I think my sadness is more for those who aren't here to watch the girls grow up in person. I know for many seeing the pictures and reading the stories has made you feel like part of our family...like you are watching us through a window. I know emails and pictures won't be the same but I will do my best to send updates of achievements and happenings as the girls get older.
I know I promised to keep the blog going until the girls started to walk so you are probably wondering why I am signing off now, when our biggest milestone has yet to be achieved. Sure, the girls have taken some tremendous steps, but they definitely cannot be defined as "walkers." The reason I have to wrap up sooner than expected is mainly due to financial reasons. I know we haven't been the only ones struggling in our current recession (I know it is officially over but for some reason our pocketbook doesn't know that yet!) and Jared has been diligently trying to cut out things we don't need. So we've decide to turn off our landline as well as our DSL for the time being so that the money from those bills can be spent more wisely on needs for our family. I am hoping by late next summer we will be in a better position to have internet again but for the time being we are sacrificing where we can.
Jenna (top) and Jillian (bottom) take a stand! Jenna can stand steady all by herself now!
Another reason for the farewell also has to do with the simple fact that life has become incredibly busy. Yes, the girls have gotten older and the independence they have gained from infanthood has made life and everyday tasks loads easier; however, as any parent knows, toddlers are curious little bodies who can wiggle into any and every situation. Gone are the days when a baby gym or bouncy seat would keep them occupied and in one place so that I could steal some blogging time; nope...constant supervision is required for the next few years at least. :)
Anyhoo...I did not want to make this last blog entry a teary goodbye. Rather I wanted to dedicate the entry to my children. I have said before that I plan to get the blog made into a book for them. I think it will be so neat for Jillian and Jenna to read about and see their lives as babies chronicled in stories. So, to my dearest Jillian and Jenna, this post is for you:
The Surprise News
My Dear Ones:
I cannot recall the exact date or time, but I will always remember the moment when I found out I was pregnant with two babies, you two babies. Daddy and I were in the doctor's office and I was reclining on the sonogram chair. We were comfortably chit chatting with the sonogram technician and she was explaining that with me being 6 weeks pregnant the most important thing we see on the monitor would be a little flicker. The flicker would be the teeny-tiny baby's heart inside me. Daddy and I couldn't wait to see the heart beat so the technician started right away. After a few moments of her trying to find the right spot, she asked us if we had taken fertility medication. We answered no but right away were curious as to why she would ask. So our technician said, "Well...the good news is that we can definitely see the heart beats." The s on beats triggered immediately in my brain that there was more than one heart beating. "Twins!" says the technician. That initial moment brought so many feelings to my heart, with joy and excitement being the front running emotions. I turned to Daddy and of course he had a very surprised look on his face but once the words sunk in he had a smile bigger than I had ever seen. Bigger than when he got any new car, or a house or got married...the biggest ever! We were so excited.
Now it is time for mommy to admit that joy and excitement weren't the only emotions I was feeling. After the appointment ended and Daddy and I went our separate ways to work, I got scared. In less than 9 months I knew that I would have two little babies to take care of and I was worried I wouldn't know what to do...how to do things...when to do things. Within a few days of the sonogram, the morning sickness that almost all mothers experience set in. I felt fine...as long as I was constantly eating. When I wasn't eating, I felt sick morning, noon, and night. Daddy was so sweet during that time taking care of me and going to get food I could manage to eat without grossing out on. :) For some reason you two babies made mommy crave things like Taco Bell burritos, Chick-Fil-A nuggets and KFC mashed potatoes. By the way, those cravings never subsided and you both are 16 months as I type this! Haha!
The Moment I Knew Everything Would be Fine
Around 14 weeks the morning sickness finally subsided and I was able to start enjoying being pregnant. Around 16-18 weeks pregnant, I finally felt the first flutters of the babies growing inside me (you!). It was an amazing moment. The reason I share this with you is that at that exact moment, the fears, worries, and doubts went away. I had just officially become a mom (even though you weren't here yet) and I knew that I would do whatever it took to make sure you both were taken care of. If both of you were crying I would cuddle you at the same time. If you both were hungry, I would feed you at the same time. I knew at that moment, the moment I felt you flutter, that I loved you unconditionally and always would (and always will).
Weeks passed and mommy grew bigger and bigger as you both grew bigger and bigger inside me. Jillian you were always the lowest baby in my tummy and I could always feel you pushing and kicking. Jenna, you ma'am snuggled yourself on my right side under my ribs...every time you stretched (which wasn't often) I could see your head push out my side. In fact Jenna, you were so cozy and snuggled up you decided you wouldn't move very much at all. Daddy and I made a trip to the emergency room one Sunday in October to make sure you were okay...you hadn't moved in more than a day silly girl! In fact, the day before you and your sister were born I had gone to the hospital to again make sure you were okay since you had been so still.
Mommy at 24 weeks pregnant
Your Day Had Come
It was Friday, December 19th and I drove myself to the hospital thinking I would just have Jenna checked out to be safe. The nurses had me put on a gown and get into bed and once they found both of your heartbeats they decided to monitor everything for one hour to see what was happening. Well, come to find out Jenna, you were moving tons and mommy just didn't know that what she was feeling was you. The nurses had more news than just Jenna's activities, mommy was having contractions-- and I didn't even know it! So the doctors decided that mommy would spend the night in the hospital. They hooked me up to IVs and medicines that would stop the contractions. Special sonograms were done so that the doctors could look at each of you and measure you. Mommy finally went to bed late that night but was woken up very early the next morning when the water in Jillian's sac broke. The doctors then had to stop all of the medicine and we waited to see what was going to happen. Do you want to know what happened? Nothing! All day I was fine and didn't have any contractions, both of you were moving around. So at around 7:30 that night the doctor came in and told me that I was going to be put on hospital bed rest for as long as you two would keep growing inside me. I was only 30 weeks pregnant (babies usually stay inside their mommies for 40 weeks)at that time so I agreed to the bed rest since I knew it was way too early for you two to come into this world.
So I settled back into my bed. It was a little after 8:00 and Nana had been visiting for a few hours and decided to go home for a little while. As she left your Uncle Max and Aunt Jamie came in. They were coming to visit for Christmas and had just arrived from an all day car trip. Well, within about 15 minutes of their arrival things started to get crazy and I was starting to feel the contractions I was having yesterday for the first time. At first, they were just uncomfortable but within a few minutes I was officially in the middle of full-blown labor contractions...all I can say is that you two wanted out!
Of course, the doctors and nurses tried to stop the contractions but nothing worked. I was wheeled to the OR and prepped for an urgent C-Section. Jillian, you were born a few minutes later at 11:47 pm. You were 2 pounds 15 ounces and beautiful. Jenna, you came into this world two minutes later at 11:49 pm. You were a whopping 3 pounds 2 ounces and you were just lovely. In fact, I got to see you for just a second before you went to the NICU. I'll never forget, Jenna...the nurse brought you right over to my face. You looked like a little pink tulip and you were perfect. You were both born on Saturday, December 20, 2008. Did you know that you share a birthday with your Papaw Glenn? Did you also know that Mommy and Daddy were married exactly five years earlier on that very same day? I think you must have known because once you both decided to come into the world there was no turning back.
We Meet
Within just a few short hours of your birth, you were both transferred to a Cook Children's Hospital. I saw you for the first time three days later when I came and gave you your Lovies (you both have loved your Lovies fiercely ever since!). Daddy and I got to hold you both for the first time five days after you were born, it was Christmas Day. That was the most special gift in the whole wide world.
For the next several weeks, Daddy and I came to visit both of you and we watched you grow. We watched you learn how to breathe on your own, we watched you learn how to suck from a bottle so you could eat. Daddy and I couldn't wait for you to come home but we knew you had to get bigger first. Jillian, five weeks and two days after you were born you came home to us. Jenna, you followed your sister home exactly 6 weeks to the day after you were born. Daddy and I were so happy to have you both home and by God's grace you were both perfect and healthy.
Since that time Daddy and I have watched you girls grow from teeny tiny babies (both of you were under 5 pounds when you were allowed to come home) to curious, opinionated, funny, happy toddlers. Jillian you are so anxious to walk and the smile on your face every time you take a few steps is pure joy. Jenna you are standing on your own with pride but your steps are taken when we least expect them. Jillian you love animals and can currently quack like a duck, baa like a sheep and moo like a cow. Jenna you love to look at your surroundings and point to them...asking what it is. I have never met a more inquisitive child. You both love to read more than anything else and the happiest times right now are when you choose to sit in my lap and let me read you Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle or Brown Bear, Brown Bear. You both also love The Wiggles and dance to the music when watch them on TV. Daddy and I think your favorite character is Dorothy the Dinosaur as both of you smile a lot more when she is singing. You both also know a few words in sign language, like "more," and "milk."
My sweet, precious, girls, I love you more than I ever could imagine. I pray that as you grow you will remain happy and joyful. I pray that your interest and love for Jesus intensifies, with both of you committing your lives to Christ early on. I pray both of you will remain healthy and I pray that when you grow up you will choose to do something that truly makes you happy.
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24
With All of My Love,
Momma Jenna and Daddy cuddle after going down the slide
Mommy and Jillian cruise down the slide
Jenna loves to swing high
Jillian swinging fast
Jillian gives Shelby kisses and Shelby kisses back!
Even though they are twins Jenna doesn't quite share her sister's love for Shelby :)




What a beautiful way to end your blog. Your story of the girls' arrival is touching and I'm sure they'll treasure it in years to come when they learn to read.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely one of the folks who will miss it sorely... but I understand the needs.
Grandpa loves his Jillian and Jenna.
bye bye.
Thanks, Dad. :) I've appreciated all of your comments, thoughts and advice throughout our blogging journey.
ReplyDeleteI love you much!
jessie
I'll miss reading about the girl's adventures, especially since they're only a year behind Samantha, and everything you write about makes me think of things she has done.
ReplyDeleteI would love to hear from you again once you are back online :)
ok...so you weren't gonna make it mushy, but you made me cry!
ReplyDeleteI am going to miss all your updates and pictures of those sweet baby girls!
Maybe we will see yall walking around the neighborhood :)
May God's blessings surround you! Thank you for all the hours of time you've spent sharing your darling little girls!
ReplyDeleteOk, im balling now. Jess you are such a talented writer and I will miss this dearly. Your babies are so sweet. I miss my baby more than ever now. :( Good luck with your little ones and I hope to see you back here soon. Its earmarked as a fav. Love Peggy
ReplyDeleteI sure did say it wasn't going to be a teary goodbye---my apologies for the tears that weren't suppposed to happen! ;) Thanks so much for all of the comments and positive feedback. I am going to print these ones for their book, I think the girls would like to read about who was watching them grow. :)
ReplyDelete