When Jared and I found out that we would be blessed with twins we both agreed that we wanted to give them the opportunity to be individuals; that was especially the case once we got the news we were expecting two babies of the same sex. All throughout the pregnancy I read books on carrying twins (pregnancy), raising twins, preparing for twins, etc, etc. I also watched all of the twin TV shows I could find...mostly Discovery Chanel things but occasionally a show or two starring twins. Anyhoo, here are two things that stick out the most in my mind from that time:
1. Twin siblings have a tendency to be extremely competitive with one another. More so than regular, non-twin, siblings.
2. Remember those cute little twins from that TV show Full House...Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen? Well, around that time they went through a whole thing where they didn't want to be Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen anymore. They wanted to be individuals and be called Mary Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen. They are separate people ya know. ;)
So, before the girls were born I began making intentional decisions regarding their "twinness," if you will. Jared and I decided not to dress them exactly alike (although I will say they are easier on the eyes if their outfits don't clash). We decided we wouldn't ask for or buy two of every toy, we decided that if the girls showed separate interests then we would indulge those interests individually (not putting them both in dance if one would rather play soccer).
Anyhoo, you can officially throw all of those ideas and plans out the window. These days Jillian and Jenna desire to be exactly alike. They want to wear the same outfits, have their hair the same way, play with the exact same toys, hold the exact same babies, and participate in the same activities. They are reveling in their "twinness" so to speak. So now I am left to wonder if some day they are going to be those twins who still dress exactly alike even in their 40s (gag!).
| Two princess, two princess dresses, two night caps. Go figure. :) |
| Jenna laying on the floor in the kitchen with a blanket (we only have one basketball) |
Jillian laying on the floor in the kitchen with a blanket |
| Two girls. Two pairs of plaid pants. Two moose shirts. |
| Two girls.Two moose shirts...Jillian's pants got juice on them so we took them off. Jenna had to have hers off too. |

I'll leave you with my Bean...
| My sweet Jenna Bean, who can resist a sleeping baby? :) |

No comments:
Post a Comment