Jillian & Jenna

Jillian & Jenna

About Me

My photo
I am the mom of Jillian Grace and Jenna Faith. This is my way of sharing stories and photos with our family and friends.

Monday, February 16, 2009

In the Womb




Do you think our personalities start out as early as in the womb? I have been thinking about this...well really since I was carrying the babies. In one of our early sonograms ( I think it was late in the first trimester) we were able to see on one screen both babies and their entire bodies. Jillian (Baby A) was extremely active. She was literally rolling around inside. Jenna was sleeping until the technician started her scan and pushing on her and stuff. Only then did she start moving and wiggling around.

It was like that throughout the entire pregnancy. Jillian was very active and I could feel her often. Jenna was the opposite, she was literally a lump in my side for the last 5 weeks or so. In fact, I went to the ER once and walked in at the doctor's office once because I was worried she wasn't alive...that is how little she moved. Actually, Jenna was the reason I had gone to the hospital the day before they were born. I couldn't feel her move again and then they ended up keeping me for observation.

Well, 8 weeks in the outside world has proved to me that their personalities start from within. In the NICU they have these swaddling things where they strap the babies into a certain position but it keeps them nice and tight and they like it since that's how it was on the inside. Jenna was always content to be in the confines of bed; however, Jillian always had a leg or arm outside...pushing the boundaries.

Even now that is how they are. Jillian is sprawled out and Jenna is tucked in. Jillian likes loud, noisy toys, Jenna likes to simply sit and observe. Jillian has to be entertained if we have a chance of keeping her awake, Jenna prefers to be talked or read to.

Interesting, huh?

Oh, I know some are wondering how the sleep thing is going. Well, on Wednesday and Thursday of last week both girls did great. Friday night was boo boo (bad for those of you not up with MaxLingo) and Saturday night was boo boo. Jillian was wide awake those two nights. Well, last night was opposite. Jillian went right to bed after her 9pm bottle and Jenna was wide awake from about 10pm until 1:30am. Sigh...I think patience is the key. Which is what seems to have worked for those who commented on the "Help" post(thanks by the way for the tips & encouragement). I think we just need to keep doing what we are doing and once they are a little older it will click. Jillian and Jenna, although over 8 weeks old now, are still considered "newborns" because of their prematurity. In fact, their actual due date wasn't until 2/28 so we still have a ways to go. I think it is what they call an Adjusted Age...their Adjusted age 38 weeks gestation...meaning -2 weeks old. :)

I have some pictures though of just how crazy this sleep thing is. One picture is of Jillian in her seat wide awake, the next picture is her like less than 5 minutes later...I am trimming her nails. I wish I could go to sleep that fast. :)

More to Come...

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember how much you were active while in the womb. But its been fun to watch you and your sister grow into ladies. You were always the bold one and Teri was the quiet one. Now Teri is the more active of you two.
    Cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete