The last week has been quite a challenge and I am hoping this week we can get back on track with being happy and sleeping at night again....they had been doing so well!
Let's see...it all started last week when I gave the girls a different brand of the premature formula they are on. We use Similac Neosure and our doctor's office had given us a sample of the Enfamil (they get free samples all the time and were trying to help us with the cost...the premature formula is a tad expensive). Well, after an entire day of using that formula Jenna ended up getting sick at 6:00 Wednesday night. It was a cross between a very forceful spit up and the projectile vomiting. Basically, all of what she had just eaten came up.
So, I ran to Wal-Mart and got more of the Neosure and threw out the Enfamil. I called the doctor and she said just to watch her and see how it goes, sometimes that just happens. Well, all the other feedings went fine and I figured it was no big deal.
The next morning at 9 I fed them and got them ready to go and visit my friends where I used to work. As soon as I got them into the car they both did the throw up thing again. So, I figured maybe it was just their system trying to get rid of the other formula still. Nope, Jenna got sick again at the Noon. So, I called the doctor and she said it could be from the congestion they still have (we are suffering from allergies....anyone else?) or it could be a touch of the stomach bug. They told me to reduce their feeding amount to half but feed more often. So, I cut back to 1.5 ounces every two hours instead of 3 ounces every 3. I also had to supplement with Pedialyte. Not fun!! Have you ever had to feed a hungry baby half of what they are used to? They were quite upset with me.
Well, we did that for a day and since they didn't get sick we gradually went back to the 3 ounces every three hours, stretching it at night to just one feeding instead of two. Then the time changed. That threw us off as well as the fact that we just had a plain busy weekend. So, yesterday, I figured we would work on getting back to their schedule.
Well, Sunday, Jillian seemed to be spitting up a lot...more than usual. Both girls were also pretty gassy because all of the changes through off their system and they got a tiny bit constipated. On Monday morning (yesterday), Jillian did the throw up thing again with her milk. By now, we had been on our old 3 ounces schedule for a few days. I knew it wasn't a bug because the girls didn't have fever, chills, messy diapers, etc.
So, I called the doctor again yesterday and we started going over how they eat. They usually get really fussy after they eat and a lot times they arch their backs and cry like their tummies are really hurting when we are trying to burp them. So, the doctor said it sounds like they have a case of Acid Reflux and they called in a prescription for us. I have to give it to both girls 2x a day a half hour before they eat. I also have to keep them upright for half an hour after I feed them before putting them back to bed or laying them down.
I started the medicine this morning (I think I got maybe a 1/4 of the amount in them that they were supposed to have) so I am hoping it will start to work and help their tummies. I also think it will help with sleeping at night because they can sleep from about 9:30 (after we feed them) until about 2 with no problems and then after we feed them at 2 they get cranky again like they have tummy aches.
Anyhoo, only time will tell and for now we are just like Thomas the Train chanting "We think we can, we think we can, we think we can." In a few months when we start going back down this hard hill we are climbing I am sure it will change to "I knew we could, I knew we could, I knew we could."
More to Come...
Jess

poor little things. I wish there was something I - or anyone - could do to ease them through it
ReplyDeleteMe, too. The upside is that Acid Reflux is something they will grow out of. I think it is caused by underdeveloped things inside (don't ask me what "things") :)
ReplyDeleteHopefully the medicine they gave me will help in the meantime.
Hey Jess, not to worry about them having Acid Reflux. Kyle had it too and once he started the medicine and sitting upright he was fine. It is related to being premie and the digestive track not developing fully. Kyle out grew his by the time he was eating baby food. Also, once you don't have to use premie formula anymore, we switched Kyle to an Organic formula and that helped his acid reflux to the point he didn't need his meds anymore. There was something in the other fomrula that didn't agree with him plus we found out he was allergic to soy. Just hang in there and feel free to call me as i have been there (only had one but i've been there).
ReplyDelete