Jillian & Jenna

Jillian & Jenna

About Me

My photo
I am the mom of Jillian Grace and Jenna Faith. This is my way of sharing stories and photos with our family and friends.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Jillian & Jenna!






Jenna (White bib) and Jillian (pink bib) enjoy their cake!



Happy Birthday Babies!!
I can't believe it has been one whole year since the girls were born. The first 5 months or so went really slowly, the tasks with feedings and diaperings overshadowing the joy of parenthood at times. Especially the first two months the girls were home with round the clock feedings....but once the girls turned about 6 months old things began to get super fun and it seems time just flew by. Jillian and Jenna became more interactive and expressive; their schedules got better and things got easier all around. Not that the first 6 months were awful or terrible, they were just...challenging.

So we had a big ol' birthday party yesterday. Probably a good thirty-some odd people. I think the number of people was overwhelming for the girls at first but they did really great. Jenna, of course, blossomed with the attention and soon stole the spotlight with her smiles, silly faces and vocal expressions. Jillian wasn't as comfortable with the attention and I held her a lot of the time. Out of the two Jillian is more shy and reserved when it comes to people outside of her small radius of a comfort zone. She warms up after a while but still doesn't like big crowds.

After everyone arrived we opened some awesome presents and then had cake. The cake was just hilarious. True to form Jenna enjoyed hers thoroughly. She had it everywhere...nose, eyes, belly, hands, face, legs.  She was just a ham, too. Once she figured out everyone thought she was funny she just kept trucking along, shoving cake in her little frosting covered mouth. :) Jillian wasn't crazy about the cake. She got messy but not nearly as much as Jenna; and while Jenna finished her entire piece of cake (thata girl!!) Jillian left more than half. Now, if I were to give her another piece of cake while no one was looking or after the crowds left I would fully expect her to look like Jenna.  It is funny how a child's personality forms so early and how differently personalities of siblings form. They are individuals for sure!

To that effect...Jared and I had decided earlier in the day that we would ask everyone to sing the Happy Birthday song twice, meaning to each baby individually. I actually got the idea from the reality show John and Kate Plus 8. They sing to (or used to) each of their kids separately, too. So when it came time to sing we asked for two songs and were pleased when everyone happily agreed. Actually....we ended up singing three birthday songs. :) My step-dad's birthday (Glenn) is the same day. I have never asked him but if it were me I wouldn't appreciate me stealing the day! Not only did Jared and I get married on his birthday (12-20) six years ago but we had our first kiddos on his birthday, too. We (sort of) surprised him with his own cup cake and song. :) I had told Jared earlier in the day my plan to give him his cupcake after we sang to the girls and he accidentally announced it when I was asking everyone to sing the individual birthday songs to Jillian and Jenna. In the end I think Glenn appreciated it though. :)

So after everyone left the party my Mom and Glenn stuck around and helped us pick up a little. My mom helped me take tags off of all the sweet clothes we got so I could wash them. Glenn held Jillian and helped her rock on her rocking horse (Glenn handmade each of the girls a rocking horse!). Katie held Jenna, Jared cleaned up cake and cups. After they left the girls were ready to eat and be put to bed...they were soooo tired! I was too...the girls were asleep by 7:15 at the latest and the only thing I remember after that is Jared waking me up at 9:30 to get ready for bed. :)












Jenna (in polka dots) and Jillian (in daisies) are dazed and ready for bed after their big girl party.

Whew...we needed a good rest. This week and weekend are going to be hugely busy. My Dad comes home from Korea on Christmas Eve (woot! woot!) and then we spend the 25th, 26th and 27th with different families each day. I am looking forward to it. Even though it is the girls' 2nd Christmas, this one will be even more special since it will be their first Christmas at home. Last year they were only 5 days old in the NICU. We did get to hold them for the first time on Christmas Day so that was such a sweet gift, but now I am glad to be able to celebrate the whole day with them and be thankful for the healthy, happy, active one year olds they've become!

Merry Christmas to All!!!

More to Come...
Jessie

PS: Check out ALL the birthday photos with THIS LINK at Snapfish.com. Remember Snapfish is free to register with no obligation to register so there is no reason to not sign up and look if you want. Also, if you've forgotten your password you can click on the link and take the steps to retreiving it.

2 comments:

  1. What a grand & wonderful day for your girls and for the proud, happy parents, family & friends. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the events of the celebration. I'm looking forward to Christmas pictures! May you have a blessed holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED the cake pictures. I can't wait to see the little squirts again and hold them both. I'm looking forward to spending time with Jessica, Jared, Jillian, Jenna and Shelby this Christmas. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete